A South Australian woman has died from hepatitis A after eating a frozen pomegranate product recalled from supermarket shelves last month.

State heath authorities are reminding anyone who bought Creative Gourmet frozen pomegranate from Coles to throw it in the bin after the tragic death of the 64-year-old woman.

The frozen pomegranate was recalled two months ago after NSW Health found a link between the fruit and a number of Hepatitis A cases.

SA Health reminded the community on May 8, warning its residents the infection can take anywhere from 15 to 50 days to develop.

In a statement, SA Health’s chief medical officer Paddy Phillips said he hoped there wouldn’t be any more people suffering the illness, considering the product was recalled two months ago.

“While we expect most people would have disposed of the recalled product, we urge everyone to double-check freezers and remove any affected products.”

There was a nationwide recall of the contaminated product on April 7 and Coles removed it from its freezers.

The imported product led to 24 people being diagnosed with hepatitis A, while Australian-grown fresh pomegranate remained unaffected.

This incidence serves as a reminder to always shop local when looking for fresh produce. Avoid frozen, imported produce where possible and instead eat seasonally to ensure you are getting the best tasting produce for the cheapest price.

You can do this by shopping at Your Local Greengrocer. They know better than anyone what’s best for eating right now because more often than not, they are the ones picking it from Sydney Markets every morning.

Original article by News.com.au

Subscribe To Our Free Newsletter