Tomato and Capsicum Pan Eggs
Prep 15 mins | Cook 45 mins | Serves 4
This is great dish for brunch or a light dinner.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and cut into 1cm dice
- 750g ripe Roma (egg) tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Grilled sourdough bread, to serve
Heat oil in a medium (about 25cm base) non-stick heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, sumac, cumin and capsicum and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes until thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make 4 small indentations in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until yolks are just set (or cooked to your liking). Sprinkle with parsley, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve with char-grilled sourdough bread.