Rocket Red Onion Salad with BBQ Steak
Prep 25 mins | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon rind + 1 tsp extra to serve
- 2 (about 350g each) thick sirloin or rump steaks
- 1⁄2 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- olive oil cooking spray
- 250g stem cherry truss tomatoes
- 75g baby rocket leaves
- 50g parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Aioli or horseradish cream, to serve
Combine oil, garlic and lemon rind in a shallow ceramic dish. Season with sea salt and pepper. Add steak and turn to coat both sides. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes. Place onion in a small bowl and pour over vinegar and stir in sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Heat a greased barbecue grill or char-grill over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side (for medium-rare) or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, spray tomatoes with oil. Barbecue tomatoes for 2-3 minutes until tender. Transfer to a plate.
Drain onions and place into a bowl. Add rocket and parmesan. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss to combine. Slice steak and sprinkle with parsley and extra lemon rind. Serve with rocket & red onion salad, tomatoes and aioli or horseradish cream.